Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Welcome to The Poor Couture!

Annie (left) and Janine (right)

Janine and Annie met each other at age 4 and their friendship blossomed through their shared interest in "playing dress-up". Seventeen years later, the two girls' interests haven't changed much, and neither has their friendship. Their years of experience in "playing dress-up" and their shared obsession with saving money gave the two friends an idea...






Meet Annie:






Hello! I’m Annie and I’m from Boston (10 minutes away from Janine). I’m currently a junior at Washington University in St. Louis, and I'm majoring in English and minoring in Writing and Communication Design. Though my style may have changed since my days of emanating the Spice Girls, I've always had an appreciation for cheap clothes (thanks, mom). I can spend hours in Forever 21 and H&M, and my obsession with Loehmann’s and Nordstrom Rack is a little unhealthy. If I could describe my style in two words they would be feminine and classic. So, needless to say, my style icons include Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe.





And meet Janine:

My name is Janine, and I am a 20 year-old illustration major at Syracuse University. I’ve always had an interest in all things art, fashion, and style, but like Annie, my mother taught me the value of a budget early on in life. I’ve been known to stalk the aisles at H&M and Target on a biweekly basis, and yet it remains a thrill every time I walk through the doors. My personal style seems to always be changing, and there’s nothing I love more than a unique, inspired outfit (all hail the Olsen twins, Kate Moss, and Sienna Miller.)










Annie (left) and Janine (right)

We have always been addicted to shopping. The ritual never gets old…searching for an item, trying it on, examining the fit and quality, deciding how to wear it, and then, finally, purchasing it and taking it home. We live for it. Unfortunately, our wallets don’t. But in our 20 years of life, one of the many things we have both come to realize is that style comes in all shapes, sizes, colors, and yes, even price ranges. It’s about the look and the feel of a garment or accessory. If you love something, it doesn’t matter if the cost is $20 or $200, because it will make you FEEL like a million bucks. Enter The Poor Couture, a budget-friendly approach to fashion and style.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea guys! And I am officially in love with you two...I'm reading over this and I thought of a cool idea if I can throw it out there... (feel free to throw it right back :P)

    I was talking to Annie the other day... and I was so frustrated because I was looking for a pair of simple nude shoes that were comfortable enough for work but didn't cost me a fortune. So Annie, being the angel that she is, :) immediately sent me some links that were great!

    What if you guys added a section to this blog where viewers can send in requests or pleas of help? With your shopping expertise, I'm sure you would have much better luck at finding things than I would! I think it would be a nice addition to the blog, where you can encourage more viewer involvement with what you post! Then you can post the suggestions on that same section of the blog!

    For my own selfish benefit, you guys would be my life savers... and I might just be requesting shopping advice from you all the time!!

    My first request: a nice red dress for a charity gala... ahhhhhhhh

    haha I'm pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog ...Great Job! Please check out my site for more great looks for less ideas. Maggie
    http://www.eThoughtfulThings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Maggie!

    Your site looks great (and so do the prices!). I especially love your collection of Sondra Roberts bags :)

    Annie

    ReplyDelete